Poet in Residence – State Library of Queensland
Doing all matter of poetry goodness at the State Library, the State Library Cafe and at the Edge.
Festival Management – Queensland Poetry Festival
Managed, produced and ran the annual Queensland Poetry Festival with Graham Nunn. The Queensland Poetry Festival is one of Australia’s largest poetry festivals and runs in September each year at the Judith Wright Centre of Contemporary Art in Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley.
Poetry Slam Deviser and Co-coordinator – Brisbane Writers Festival
The Brisbane Writers Festival is Queensland’s biggest writing festival held over 5 days in October annually at the Southbank forecourt and the Brisbane Powerhouse. I devised and organised (over 2 years) the Brisbane Writers Festival Poetry Slam and it’s associated events. I managed a team of 10 performers for the events, held at the Brisbane Powerhouse.
Director – Poetry After Dark, Zoo nightclub
This annual event ran for 2 years and succeeding in selling out both years (500 people). It showcased some of Australia’s best poets, artists, zine fair, performing artists, visual artists, international and Australian musicians and brought poetry to Brisbane’s biggest and best known live music venue.
Spoken Word Co-coordinator – Straight Out of Brisbane Festival (SOOB)
SOOB was Brisbane’s biggest festival of independent emerging arts, culture and ideas. SOOB took place in and around Fortitude Valley and the spoken word program was a highlight of the festival. In this role I also co –edited an anthology of new and emerging writers called ::SOOB:: New Writing.
Workshop Co-ordinator – Beat Poetry Workshops for school aged children – Hands on Art
Devised and ran BEAT Poetry Workshops over a few years for school aged children at the Judith Wright Centre of Contemporary Art. Hands on Art were an art based organisation dedicated to provide services to young children in Queensland.
Brisbane Event Co-coordinator – National Poetry Week
Organised, ran and promoted many National Poetry Week events, including ‘Word Salad’, ‘Bittersuite’ and ‘Slam!’
National Poetry Co-coordinator – Vibewire.net
Managed, and Co – coordinated the poetry section of Vibewire.net. Also devised the “Its Poetry Punk” program for Vibewire.net.
:: Awards ::
• Highly commended in the Val Vallis Award for Poetry
• Shortlisted :New South Wales Writers Centre, Wild and Wooley Best Independently Published Book
• Brisbane City Council, Traffic Stopper Award for the TSB Public Art Project
• Winner of the Write Around the Murray Signage Award.
• Shortlisted for the PressPress Chapbook Award
• Winner of the Westender Poetry Prize
• First resident poet for the Vibewire/Australia council, ‘Write in your Face’ program
• Awarded ‘Youth Arts Mentorship’ through Arts Queensland with Sam Watson
:: Published Work ::
• Best Australian Poems. Black Inc.
• Writing QLD
• BAM (Courier Mail)
• The Courier Mail
• Stylus Literary Magazine
• Papertiger: New World Poetry
• Open Wide, Pocket Broadside Series (UK)
• Open Wide Magazine (UK).
• Ink Magazine (UK),
• Synaptic Graffiti
• Brisbane Writers Festival Well Versed
• Metior Magazine.
• Style Magazine
• Definitive Article
• Softblow (Singapore)
• 3am Magazine
• Cold Glass
• Get Underground (UK)
• Vulture Magazine
• In our own words, a generation defining itself (US)
• Speedpoets Anthology
• Brisbane Art Magazine
• Muse Apprentice Guild (America).
• “Small Packages 8” with Steve Kilbey, Sam Hunt.
• The between space Anthology
• Lip Magazine
• BrisneyLand Project
• Text Messages
• Chemical Lust(US) Cordite Review
:: Readings, Performances, Public Art, Collaborative Work ::
• Brisbane Writers Festival (Brisbane Powerhouse) Liner Notes – David Bowie Tribute – Brisbane Writers Festival (Brisbane Powehouse)
• Creative QLD Government Policy Launch
• Queensland Writers Centre, Wordpool with Linda Jaivan and Luke Davies
• MC for the State Library of Queensland’s “Do you have the write stuff”
• Queensland Poetry Festival (also 2 book launches)
• MC for Samuel Wagan Watson’s book launch “Smoke Encrypted Whispers”
• Poetry After Dark (ZOO Nightclub) – with Chris Bailey (Saints)
• Two High Festival (QLD Performing Arts Centre)
• Straight out of Brisbane Festival
• National Young Writers Festival
• Melbourne Writers Festival
• Youth Arts Queensland Mentoring Showcase • Wired Festival • Brisbane City Council’s Visible Ink Festival
• MC for the official opening of the Queensland Poetry Festival
• Straight Out of Brisbane Festival “How the west was won”
• Ann’s Street Party
• Feature reader at Kurilpa Poets
• Queensland Society of Editors AGM
• Ipswich Poetry Festival
• Synaptic Graffiti – Brisbane Social Forum
• SOOB exposes the author
• Launch of Miel Magazine at the Queensland Poetry Festival
• SOOB – ‘When Reviewers Attack’
• Poetry Ad Breaks – as part of the Queensland Poetry Festival
• Renew the Word National Poetry Week
• Small Packages Launch (Metro Arts Centre)
• National Poetry Week Slam judge
Mount Street Public Art Installation
:: Workshops, Seminars and Event Management ::
• Festival Management – Queensland Poetry Festival
• Director – Poetry After Dark, Zoo Nightclub
• Poetry Slam Deviser and Co-coordinator – Brisbane Writers Festival
• Spoken Word Co-ordinator – Straight Out of Brisbane Festival (SOOB)
• Workshop Co-ordinator – Beat Poetry Workshops for school aged children – Hands on Art
• AGM Co-coordinator and featured reader – Australian Society of Authors (QLD)
• Workshop Co-ordinator Young songwriters Workshop – National Folk Festival (Canberra)
• Brisbane Event Co-ordinator – National Poetry Week
• Judge for ‘Poetry on the Move’ – Education Queensland
• 2005 – National Poetry Co-ordinator – Vibewire.net
• Wired Festival – Spoken Word Co-ordinator
• Synaptic Graffiti” performance
:: Art Shows ::
Tiny Gold – 19 Karen Art Space
Erotic – Flipbook Gallery
Brisbane Festival – Under the Radar, Metro Arts
:: Academic ::
Lecturer in Poetics – Griffith University
Research Masters in Creative Writing – QUT